Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JLW515 Customs Thread

Rock n Roll is the original G.I. Joe Machine Gunner.

I wanted to portray Rock n Roll as more of his surfer, body builder persona. To me, Marvel Comics made him look more like a blonde Grizzly Adams. I think the Thor head sculpt makes a pretty cool Rock n Roll.

The torso is a Ret. Roadblock. Swapped out the legs and arms for Bench Press - had to have that cool tattoo! I think the blend of parts gives Rock n Roll a nice body builder look without being too "juiced up" like the Rock.

The web gear is a custom from blending parts from the Night Fox vest with a Ret. Flint web gear. The mini-gun (ole "Painless" - Blain from Predator) is from a Spy Troops Roadblock. I acquired a different mini-gun (same sculpt) that has a silver barrel. I'll be swapping it out and updating the strap later on.

Comments & critiques welcomed and encouraged! Thanks.

Jason
    Last edited by jlw515; 06-12-2018 at 01:10 PM.

That Thor head works so well for a RnR! Fantastic man!

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    That Thor head works so well for a RnR! Fantastic man!
    Hey thanks for the props! As an OG GIJoe Marvel fan, I really like Rock n Roll. As a kid, RnR had that unique chest piece and that awesome machine gun! Not taking anything away from Roadblock, but RnR seemed to get tossed to the wayside once RB came on the scene.

In my Joeverse, I like to balance the members out to basically have two ground squads of equal MOSs. So, while RnR would be the machine gunner for one squad, RB would be the machine gunner for the other squad. This way both members get equal time. I'm hoping by later this year to start working on a "G.I. Joe Revisited" photonovel (dio-story).

Jason

Rock N Roll was my first ever Joe (along with Flash) and thus one of my all time favorites. You did him justice here my friend. I keep looking for those critiques but you aren't offering me the chance because your work is outstanding. I love it buddy. LOVE IT! The Bench Press arms on the Roadblock body is genius. The Thor head is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Itchweed View Post
    Rock N Roll was my first ever Joe (along with Flash) and thus one of my all time favorites. You did him justice here my friend. I keep looking for those critiques but you aren't offering me the chance because your work is outstanding. I love it buddy. LOVE IT! The Bench Press arms on the Roadblock body is genius. The Thor head is perfect.
    Thanks!! I lucked out on that Bench Press figure on ebay years ago. I didn't give near as much as I've seen him go for. The camo color & pattern on the Roadblock pelvis was close enough to the Bench Press arms that I didn't do any painting on the figure (only the web gear), which is a plus for me!

Jason

Dude I hate painting figures. 99.9 percent of my figs are moved and displayed and moved and posed so paint doesn’t lend itself well to my collection.

Here is an easy custom that, to me, just goes to show that with the right parts you can have a definitive character.

This is simply a 25th Stalker head sculpt, which IMHO is the best. I just do not like that 30th version with the braided pony tail. However, I like the 30th body sculpt and paint apps the best. Marauders just announced an "Ambush-Ops" camo figure, that I'm sure I will use one day for either an updated or alternate Stalker custom.

I think I spent more time customizing Stalker's file card than I did figure! LOL! In my Joeverse, Stalker is the First Sergeant. I think he was portrayed this way in the early Marvel comics. Stalker always seemed like a team leader. So, in my Joeverse I've made some rank changes and branch changes that I think work better and add some military diversity to the team - except for Cutter, he's the only Coast Guardsman on the team!

Since my Joeverse is set "in the not so distant future" (kind of like the X-Men and GIJOE movies) I try to make the file cards as generic as can be so that they are not dated to a particular time period.

The only thing I'm not 100% sold on with this custom is the vest. It may have been the best choice I had at the time. I'll probably update the web gear later one when I take some new pics. One of the main things for me that is just a MUST for Stalker is for him to have a "suppressed Mike-One-Six with Starlight Scope" from the G.I. Joe Marvel Snake Eyes Origin Story.

This image of Stalker, Storm Shadow, and Snake Eyes in Southeast Asia has always stood out to me.

For the gun in the picture, I used the scope from ARAH Frostbite and an M16 from DG Duke. I have sense updated this gun with parts from Marauders, even have the double, upside down clip. I'll post some updated pics of Stalker with new web gear and gun. I've got several customs on my blog that I've already updated, and just need to take the time to photograph.

Comments and critiques appreciated!

Jason
    Last edited by jlw515; 06-13-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Simple but effective! I like it a lot. Though I actually enjoy the braided hair headsculpt too.

Woah now, sorry to be late to the party..there is all sorts of badassery going on in this thread! Great work, JLW!

Quote Originally Posted by C.I.A.D. View Post
    Woah now, sorry to be late to the party..there is all sorts of badassery going on in this thread! Great work, JLW!
    Thanks! Greatly appreciate that!

Jason