Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JLW515 Customs Thread

JLW515 Customs Thread

Heard about this Forum from Itchweed. Appreciate being invited. Just a short BIO of my "custom career" LOL! I got started in customizing Star Wars action figures around 1996 after seeing Ken Pruitt's vintage customs in Tomart's. For years, I customized SW figures, made dioramas, and even posted a photonovel "Vader's Quest" on several SW fan pages (Yakface, Rebelscum, etc.). Even created a SW customs/fan website BITD http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/index.htm.

Once the vintage collection ended, and the debacle of the Black Series started, I jumped ship to my other childhood favorite -- G.I. Joe. It was probably the reveal of a ME Kwinn figure that really sold me! My G.I. Joe interest is mostly in characters from 1982 to 1987, with other random characters throughout the years. I'll be posting all of my customs in one thread. And I also post my customs on my blog https://gijoerevisited2.blogspot.com/

First up is the man for whom the team is named! "There's a reason they call us 'Joes.'" I like the idea of having "G.I. Joe" Colton as an acting administrator of the team like in the defunked "Death of G.I. Joe" comic series.

I like to make my "Joeverse" sort of like the X-Men and R.O.C. movie timelines "Sometime in the not so distant future." So, I also create custom file cards with updated MOSs and more time-generic bios. My "Joeverse" is influenced by the original file cards, early Marvel comics, some DDP comics, and the original cartoon series. So, you might see an homage to some of these in the file cards. I'm hoping one day to start a comic book-style G.I. Joe photonovel/dio-story. I've already made a template for the pages. If you've ever seen my SW "Vader's Quest" photonovel, it was done in sort of a comic book style.

I gave General Colton a more modern Army dress (blue) uniform and a proper Green Beret. I used the Retaliation Firefly head sculpt because it looks older and battle worn. The vest is a custom resin cast from Vortious Customs. Although you can't really make it out in the pictures, there is a gold stripe down each pants leg.

Comments and Critiques are appreciated and encouraged. Thanks.

Jason

Great to have you here J! I share in your 82-87 likes and your file card/Marvel/Cartoon influences. My "updated" collection of Joes will be revolving around just that.

Awesome Colton!

Wow, that's amazing! Thanks so much for sharing and signing up!

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Wow, that's amazing! Thanks so much for sharing and signing up!
    Thanks for the front page props! I'll try to post one custom a day until I get all my current customs posted. I've done a bulk post on other forums in the past and it seem like some of the customs get overlooked due to posting overload! Thanks again.

Jason

Happy to have you aboard Jason! ... Love that Colton! Can't wait to see some more of your creations!

Next up is Hawk. I envision Hawk as more of the Base Commander who gets involved in battle from time to time. He's a young General who comes from a wealthy background.

This is sort of a blend between 1986 and 1992 "Genera Hawk" action figures. Not really a complex custom: removed the chest holster; gave the figure a wash to tone down the bright colors, a little grey on the temples of the DG Duke head, and added a Garrison Cap that I Dremeled out from an Avac's Lab custom head sculpt.

As always Comments & Critiques welcome - especially Critiques, if you see something that could be done better, please feel free to express your opinion! I see too many customs where the eyes are "bugged out" or the paint job is not all that good, and everyone comments "Great job" or "Amazing custom," when in reality they need a little constructive criticism. Back in my Star Wars customizing days, the guys on Rebelscum didn't have any issues offering some tips or critics of a custom. So, again, I don't mind critiques at all, and actually welcome them.

I do plan to change this custom up a bit down the road. I REALLY like the Marauder's Spec-Ops camo pattern, and plan to do a "chop shop" custom of changing out the entire pelvis and waste with one from MGR. Also will upgrade the hands to MTF hands.

Jason

That is quite an awesome Hawk! Honestly, no critiques here. And yeah, Marauder and Boss Fight have been outstanding when it comes to more options for customizers.

J I have always been a fan of your work dating back to SW days. You know if I have a critique I will give it to you but man this Hawk is killer.

Awesome customs and I do enjoy how you you showcase them. Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Itchweed View Post
    J I have always been a fan of your work dating back to SW days. You know if I have a critique I will give it to you but man this Hawk is killer.
    Thanks! A lot of my customs can be classified as "lazy man customs" since I hate painting articulated parts. Although, there are some Cobra Troops that I just don't think I can find the parts in the molded colors I want. Plus I think Hasbro has given us enough parts that there are plenty to kit bash the characters I want.

Jason