Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paramount Pictures Places Snake Eyes Spinoff Movie Into Development

Paramount Pictures Places Snake Eyes Spinoff Movie Into Development

Big News for the G.I.Joe World - The Hollywood Reporter has shared word that Snake Eyes, the Ninja Commando from G.I.Joe, is set to get his own Spinoff movie!

From THR:
    Paramount Pictures has thrown a Joe spinoff movie featuring the commando into development, with Evan Spiliotopoulos, the writer of Beauty and the Beast and The Huntsman: Winterís War, in talks to pen the script. Brian Goldner is among those producing the feature based on the Hasbro toyline. Snake Eyes is the silent ninja commando that first appeared in the 1980s as part of Hasbro and Marvel Comicsí relaunch of the toyline, dubbed G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero.

Are you excited for this proposed Snake Eyes movie?

Which Snake Eyes? Did Paramount say anything? This could be a Dawn movie (please oh please)
    As long as they get Ray Park back I am good with it. Unless it is a Dawn Moreno movie then they should cast an up and coming unknown like they did with Elodie Yung.

It does raise an eyebrow.
    If Hasbro is still interested in Snake Eyes then maybe there is not a drastic revamping of the line coming like they have stated for a while now. Maybe it is a mild revamping.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny View Post
    Which Snake Eyes? Did Paramount say anything? This could be a Dawn movie (please oh please)
    As long as they get Ray Park back I am good with it. Unless it is a Dawn Moreno movie then they should cast an up and coming unknown like they did with Elodie Yung.

It does raise an eyebrow.
    If Hasbro is still interested in Snake Eyes then maybe there is not a drastic revamping of the line coming like they have stated for a while now. Maybe it is a mild revamping.
    My gut is they're going the same route as the Bumblebee solo movie: a smaller budgeted character piece that's a safer bet than the investment of a tentpole. When you consider rumor of bringing Dwayne Johnson back for a sequel, it would make sense for this to be the Ray Park Snake-Eyes.

But, then, I think it's pretty obvious they really don't know what they're doing here. I think the best policy is to hope for the best, and that's a fun, engaging movie that pays tribute to the character Larry Hama created and we all fell in love with, from his swords to his cool visor.

Too bad Marvel doesn’t own GI Joe. Be cool to see him fight alongside Cap and Widow instead of Channing Tatum and Bruce Willis.

A snake eyes movie sounds cool. Won’t be much dialogue I’m guessing.

You have to wonder why they've waited so long to get these movies out. Ideally, JOE movies should've begun not long after 9-11, not only due to the new spirit of patriotism, but the revived interest from '80s kids that allowed the Image comic to become a hit.

Even from 2009 on, they've squandered whatever momentum they could've built. Why are they only now discussing bringing the Rock back for a sequel? Why would it take until now to bring up the idea of Snake-Eyes solo film? Heck, I wouldn't have personally wanted to see this, but just from a business point of view, it's crazy there hasn't been a G. I. JOE/TRANSFORMERS movie. At the very least, some of Bay's idealized military heroes in one of those movies could've been Joes.

They should really take this chance to carefully worldbuild from the ground up. They've already announced they're rebooting the TF movies after Bumblebee. What they should do is start with a Snake-Eyes solo movie and make it an adaptation of Snake-Eyes Declassified. You start with Storm Shadow, Stalker and Snake-Eyes together in the military (presumably Iraq, not Vietnam, to update for the times), Storm Shadow/Zartan/Arashikage backstory without bogging down a proper Joe movie, SE and Cobra Commander, CC and Zartan, SE's accident/disfigurement, and pull an "I'm putting a team together" with Hawk at the end. Boom. You've got all the necessary characters you need to lead into a Joe movie. You just need one more detail...

Meanwhile, you reboot the TF Universe in a way that isn't juvenile shit like the Bayverse. This is where you throw in a couple of plot points about how MARS and/or Cobra is using TF tech for weapons. Such a threat would call for say, a daring, highly trained special mission force, to deal with this new threat. GIJoe movie, TF2 movie, GIJoe 2, maybe TF3, then Joe/TF crossover movie. There. 6-7 movies that if done well could result in a cinematic universe that, while it couldn't hope to be better than the MCU, could certainly be better than whatever WB/DC are doing.

But of course it won't happen this way.

You gents both strike amazingly valid points - what took so long and what's the "jump off" point for this film? If the plan from Paramount is to reboot G.I.Joe with make it more "Millennial", why start with a backstory that's engulfed in war?

GIJOE movies have always been a glint in Hasbro's eye. There was talk back in the eighties but it was just talk. Tom Cruise was mentioned I believe as a potential actor. Julia Roberts, Stallone etc. The thing is Hasbro was not an entertainment company at the time. They were becoming one quickly. They played it safe though and kept everything in cartoons. Kid friendly. Then they realized their fanbase had grown up and it was 2009. The kids who played in backyards would accept a live action version of the toys they played with, mostly because they had 30 years of comics and cartoons to draw from. Which Hollywood immediately tossed all of it out the window with Rise of Cobra except for Destro's genealogy as an arms dealer family. Getting Sommers to direct was the first bad sign. But I am not going to rehash old well known opinions.

Hasbro's main focus is to sell toys, only in the past decade or so have they shown interest in becoming a media entity, even starting their own network the Hub.
    Hasbro always sold the licensing to other companies who knew how to make entertainment. They are still learning how to make good entertainment.

Copying Marvel's world building just does not feel right to me but then I thought Marvel's world building was ridiculous as well.
    All that proves is people in general are unable to pass a simple reading comprehension test, and now need everything spelled out for them in a movie.
    Independent thought and filling in the obvious with your own imagination is a lost art.

One positive out of Marvel's world building is at least we don't have to suffer through another new origin story for Spiderman.

Commercial writing's main tenet has become "your audience is stupid" this does not refer to a lack of intelligence. It means that you have to spoon feed your audience so they understand what you are trying to convey. Too much spoon feeding and you play down to an audience's intelligence. Too little and they are lost.

In the case of a Snake Eyes story I would say very little of the main movie going audience knows anything about him. All they know is he is a ninja, a soldier, and a badass.
    They might know he has a romance with Scarlett, but thanks to ROC, that was never even hinted at, so again, Paramount is liable to just make everything up, thinking he is a blank slate.

Now Dawn, would be tricky because you have no familiarity with the history of the brainwave scanner by modern audiences. They would have to be spoon fed the whole concept of the BWS, Snake Eyes being in it several times, and then show his memories and skills in some kind of montage being pressed into her brain. It would take up a good portion of the movie. If you stayed true to her origin. But why? do you really need to have an origin story? I disagree.

I am all for a Snake Eyes movie if it is based on the comics. Current or past. Don't go off the rails and make everything up or follow the lazy ROC origin.

ok rant for today is over...