Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toys R Us Is Prepping to Liquidate Its U.S. Operations

Toys R Us Is Prepping to Liquidate Its U.S. Operations

In news that shouldn't be all that surprising, word spread across the internet yesterday that Toys ‘R’ Us is prepping to liquidate its U.S. Operations. rations. Bloomberg shared the following:

Toys “R” Us Inc. is making preparations for a liquidation of its bankrupt U.S. operations after so far failing to find a buyer or reach a debt restructuring deal with lenders, according to people familiar with the matter.

While the situation is still fluid, a shutdown of the U.S. division has become increasingly likely in recent days, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. Hopes are fading that a buyer will emerge to keep some of the business operating, or that lenders will agree on terms of a debt restructuring, the people said.

For those of us that grew us as "Toys 'R' Us Kids", this news is definitely heartbreaking. Let's hope that TRU is able to fix its woes.

I have hundreds of stories from TRU. The first one I recall is when they opened up here across the street from Children's Palace. Children's Palace was always my preferred stop. Was looking for Joes and had all of the TRU had so CP had Spirit and Zartan and my grandma bought them for me and I said "I will always shop at Children's Palace and never Toys R Us".

Great story, man! Way to stick to your guns!

One of my earliest memories of Toys'R'Us was shortly after Empire Strikes Back hit the movie theater. I remember my Mom and my Mom's cousin taking me to TRU to buy a SW figure from the movie...but I fell in love at first sight with the AT-AT. Needless to say, I walked out with an AT-AT driver and nothing else. >.>

I ran by last night, the shelves are bare. Now I see the sales will be starting tomorrow. Idk, I mean they don't have and haven't had for a long time any kind of stock of anything recent. Was hoping to grab some Assassin's Creed 4 inchers and maybe some smaller chap mei items but idk. I wish I had room for the bigger Chap Mei stuff but alas I do not. I have mixed feelings about TRU. Spent a lot of time there as a kid and a dad, but they have sucked for so long I always kind of left disappointed. I feel bad for the employees who will be out of a job. That's my main source of sadness about it.

So did any of you get anything? I read that there are small discounts at this moment.

No Sir, I haven't grabbed anything as of yet, but you are indeed correct; Markdowns of 10% and upwards have begun. The TRU.com website is now shut down.

In news that should surprise no one (sadly), Toys'R'Us has shut down its website amid it's current liquidation. If your only means of visiting TRU was online, we're sorry to advise that it's no longer an option. Noted on the TRU.com website upon visiting is the following:

Thanks for visiting. We have shut down the website for any purchases but our brick and mortar stores are open and holding going out of business sales. You can keep up-to-date with the sale at http://goodbuytoysrus.com and liquidation-going-out-of-business-FAQs. We encourage you to stop by your local store and take full advantage of the deep discounts and deals available. Thank you for your business and support over the years.

Sincerely, Toys”R”Us and Babies”R”Us teams.

Stopped by and it looks like looters have run through. Boxes opened, stuff blatantly taken from packages....sad. And no Assassin’s Creed 4 inchers.

I hit a local TRU this past Saturday. Didn't look too empty, still plenty of stuff around...but meh, nothing that I want to buy.