Thread: PHX Customs Retro Toy Chest 3 Coming February 2018

PHX Customs Retro Toy Chest 3 Coming February 2018

Great news to share with you all this morning! Master Customizer Oreobuilder has shared word that PHX Customs will be launching a new "Retro Toy Chest" project this coming February! In anticipation of the Event, Oreobuilder has been sharing customs from previous Retroy Toy Chest projects on his Instagram account, so make sure to go and give it a follow!

We'll of course bring this event to you once it kicks off, so make sure to keep it locked on the Cobra Island Dreadnok Chop Shop Forums for more details as they're released!

Don't forget, the Retro Toy Chest 3 event kicks off this coming Monday, February 19th! http://cobraisland.com/phx-customs-r...february-19th/

PHX Customs Retro Toy Chest 3 Day 1 - American Defense from Remco

Project: No Joe!

The Corps, American Defense, Sgt Rock, Bronze Bombers, US Forces, Ninja Strike Force, Commando Force, there were several 3.75’’ toy lines that competed with GI Joe in the 80s and 90s. We all had at least one figure like that in our childhood collections. Most of us have had that feeling of disappointment when we ask for GI Joes for our birthday only to open a Corps figure given to us by a well-meaning Grandparent.

Bucky and Oreobuilder have been talking about making customs based on these lines ever since they started their first Resurgence project in 2014. They opened that can of worms with last year’s ‘’Retro Toy Chest II’’ project when the whole PHX gang made some customs based on these characters. That gave the team the momentum to continue with their project. This time, HypnoHustler joins the squad! He has demonstrated his love for these lines by making several kick-butt customs of various Remco figures. They'll revisit a couple of those customs as well as show off a bunch of new ones.

The first step was to scour the web for good reference pictures. That is easier said than done. There are a few sites that have character lists with pictures, but none are exhaustive, so the PHX Customs Team were always finding figures that were not on one site or another. They started by making a master list of all the characters we could find. They then each picked their favorites and went from there.

Over the next two weeks, they’ll show off what we came up with. With that, we present Retro Toy Chest 3-Project: No Joe! Enjoy and happy Custom Celebration XII! Bucky, DanoftheDead, Dusty79 and Oreobuilder. Special Guest Star Hypnohustler
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Day 1 - American Defense from Remco

''American Defense... the very name strikes terror into the hearts of the enemies of freedom! American Defense... the elite secret troop of specialized fighters in Defense of Freedom! American Defense... headed by the Super Eight Attack Squad... America's best Defense!'' - Taken from back of 1986 packaging.

American Defense was a line of 3 ¾’’ military toys sold exclusively at Kmart in the eighties. The line started with Galoob’s A-Team molds and Remco grew it from there. It was later produced by different companies and ended up in dollar stores and discount outlets. Similar to GI Joe, it included a wide variety of colorful characters. However, without a cartoon, comic or any marketing to back it up, the line rode GI Joe’s coattails for a while and then disappeared.

Check out the full gallery of day 1 here: PHX Customs Retro Toy Chest 3 Day 1 - American Defense from Remco

Deadblow by bucky

Deadblow-by-bucky-02-Cobra-Island-454x500.jpg

Dead Blow, or at least this incarnation of him, is based off the Remco figure from the Desert Patrol line, which i believe is an offshoot of American Defense. The Desert Patrol line up consisted of 6 figures: Dead Blow, Major Reckoning, Radar Tech, Colonel Striker, Black Thunder and Sgt. Sand Blaster. The line came out in 1990, and may or may not have been trying to capitalize on the Gulf War.

Parts:
    I honestly don’t remember, except the arms are from 50th Dusty. The lower legs I think are from DG Shipwreck.

Trenchcoat by HypnoHustler

Trenchcoat-by-HypnoHustler-02-Cobra-Island-426x500.jpg

Trenchcoat is another part of the S.I.T. subline, and the closest thing to a major villain I’ve found in any of the Remco lines. He’s dedicated to the domination of the free world, hating freedom, and rocking purple striped deep V shirts. My version of him is definitely based on the cardback art for him more than the figure. The figure shared the same torso as Spike, Forst Trooper, Airman Package, and others, while the card art was more unique.

Head: PoC Storm Rider with JvC Wild Bill hat
    Upper Torso: Marvel Universe Ant-Man
    Lower Torso: 25th Cobra Trooper
    Arms: Paris Pursuit Snake-Eyes
    Legs: RoC Flash with swapped feet
    Coat: Avengers Nick Fury

Spike aka Heavy Metal by Hypno Hustler

Spike-aka-Heavy-Metal-by-Hypno-Hustler-02-Cobra-Island-370x500.jpg

Like a lot of Remco figures, Spike was released under more than one name with no actual changes to the figure. I’ve never been able to find a bio for him, but based on his appearance he’s your basic 80s punk/biker villain. Since the original figure had a magenta sport coat I leaned a bit more on the punk end of it, a disgruntled New Waver perhaps. My interpretation is mostly based on the look he had on the card art with the more complex boots and wristbands.

Head: Retaliation Joe Colton with an MU Ares mohawk and a mask made from a 25th Snow Serpent head and Marauder goggles
    Torso: Temple Guardian Snake-Eyes
    Arms: 25th Ripper (single card)
    Legs: Neo-Viper

American Defense Defender by Oreobuilder

American-Defense-Defender-by-Oreobuilder-04-Cobra-Island-491x500.jpg

”Tactical Genius, supremely adaptable, American know-how at its best!”
    Defender was one of the original 8 American Defense figures. Numbered AD-1, he was available in two different color schemes – green and tan. Since that pretty much makes Defender the American Defense equivalent of Grunt, my favorite GI Joe character and I had previously made the green version, ”Tan Defender” was the first custom I put on my list for this project. Parts-wise, I changed a few elements from my green custom to use some of my fodder rather than trying to find the exact same parts. These small changes give this figure its own identity.

Head: 25th Airborne
    Torso, arms: Retaliation Kwinn
    Legs: Poc Steel Brigade
    Harness: Marauder
    Helmet: 50th Dusty

Day 2 – American Defense from Remco

”American Defense… the very name strikes terror into the hearts of the enemies of freedom! American Defense… the elite secret troop of specialized fighters in Defense of Freedom! American Defense… headed by the Super Eight Attack Squad… America’s best Defense!” – Taken from back of 1986 packaging.

American Defense was a line of 3 ¾’’ military toys sold exclusively at Kmart in the eighties. The line started with Galoob’s A-Team molds and Remco grew it from there. It was later produced by different companies and ended up in dollar stores and discount outlets. Similar to GI Joe, it included a wide variety of colorful characters. However, without a cartoon, comic or any marketing to back it up, the line rode GI Joe’s coattails for a while and then disappeared.

Check out the full gallery of day 2 here: PHX Customs Retro Toy Chest 3 Day 2 - American Defense from Remco

Forest Green by bucky

Forest-Green-by-bucky-03-Cobra-Island-450x500.jpg

I remember this guy. I saw alot of him hanging on pegs at KB Toys. Part of the S.I.T. subline, Forest Green was an attempt of camo that actually is kind of intriguing and the same time silly. When looking all over the net I re-discovered him and jotted him down in my notebook, to keep in mind as to how to pull it off. Do I bring him into the 21st century and give him a gillie suit? That seemed like the easy way out, and didn't quite pay homage to the original like I wanted. While shopping the dollhouse section last winter for a basket for Max Axe (the Garbage Pail Kid seen in last year's Retro Toy Chest), I stumbled across a 2-in-1. A basket with fake plants in it. I trimmed them up, and they worked for the vision I had.

Parts:
    DG Duke Helmet
    Roc Duke Head
    Cpt America armor
    Data Viper Thighs
    Lady Jaye Lower legs
    Arms Unknown

Claw by HypnoHustler

Claw-by-HypnoHustler-02-Cobra-Island-391x500.jpg

Claw had actually been in the works far prior to this project, originally intended for the Knock-Offs Group Project on JoeCustoms. The figure stalled out when I couldn't find Claws I liked. Eventually a thrift store Transformer came to the rescue and I finished him up. The only photo of a Claw cardback I've ever found is nearly illegible, so all I know about him is that he has the strength of 12 men and is apparently a robot with a demolition specialty.

Head: Captain America Dark Threat Hydra Soldier
    Torso: Silver Centurion Iron Man
    Upper Arms: Rise of Cobra Accelerator Suit figure
    Lower Arms: Star Wars with Beast Machines Jetstorm claws
    Upper Legs: 25th Serpentor
    Lower Legs: Iron Man 2 Comic Whiplash

American Defense Corporal Crusher by Oreobuilder

American-Defense-Corporal-Crusher-by-Oreobuilder-02-Cobra-Island-381x500.jpg

Corporal Crusher was part of Remco’s US Forces line. His card art depicted him as a wrestler-type wearing championship belt and tights. His toy shared parts with several other American Defense figures and his look was more military. I based my custom on the toy. Character-wise, Crusher seems to be Remco’s Big Brawler/Sgt Slaughter mash-up. As such, he carries a big gun and a sword and can probably take on an entire battalion on his own.
    Head, torso, arms: Retaliation Roadblock

Legs: 50th Iron Grenadier

Day 3: Bronze Bombers from Olmec

''Fearlessly, the mighty U.S. 369th Infantry led the nation's greatest Black Army into battle. They fought in WWI and WWII and they never lost. There have been no warriors their equal until today! Today, we have the Bronze Bombers™! Today they defend the country against P.S.B. enemy squad. These highly skilled combatants stand for justice and they never lose!" – From 1988 card back

The Bronze Bombers was a short-lived toy line produced by Olmec. Two "waves" were produced. The first one, released in 1988, consisted of a dozen different figures and 2 small vehicles. The figures had similar molds to Galoob's A-Team figures from the early '80s and were of lesser quality. In 1997, Olmec acquired several GI Joe molds from Hasbro and produced a 12 figure boxset consisting of recolored vehicle drivers like Motor-Viper, Skidmark, Darklon and Strato-Viper. A year later, Olmec filled for bankrupcy and Bronze Bombers line disappeared.

Check out the full gallery of day 3 here: PHX Customs Retro Toy Chest 3 Day 3 – Bronze Bombers from Olmec

Bronze Bombers Crazeblaze by DanoftheDead

Bronze-Bombers-Crazeblaze-by-DanoftheDead-03-Cobra-Island-768x768.jpg

Of all the Bronze Bombers badguys I did, this one I'm the happiest with. He required some real design and part finding, and I think he's one of the more accurate updated Darklon (or Darklon-based) figures I've seen around. I had never noticed that Crazeblaze's shoulders are swapped from Darklon's until I started pulling this together. Purple and tan-gold aren't the easiest colors to work with, so I happy the results were so smooth here. I had major frustrations with the rest of the team, and was happy to have one come out even better than I expected.

Parts:

Club Darklon Headcast, Darklon Gun
    Iron Grenadier - Chest Armor, Gauntlet
    James McCullen XXIV - Shoulder Armror
    Cobra Commander v43 - Arms
    Neo-Viper v9 - Torso
    Firefly v22 - Legs

Bronze Bombers Sure Fire by Oreobuilder

Bronze-Bombers-Sure-Fire-by-Oreobuilder-04-Cobra-Island-768x531.jpg

The original Sure Fire figure shared the same parts as Shakka Johnson. Since I have a custom of that character, I repeated the recipe here, used a different head and painted him the proper colors. Like my other ''1988'' Bronze Bombers customs, I used mostly 25th parts to convey the retro feel of the figure.

Head: ROC Repeater
    Torso, upper arms: 25th Duke
    Lower arms, legs: 25th Hawk

Bronze Bombers Kaboom (Marc Walters) by Oreobuilder

Bronze-Bombers-Kaboom-Marc-Walters-by-Oreobuilder-04-Cobra-Island-768x763.jpg

For Kaboom, I started by building him in parts that were already mostly blue. His build is straight forward and I used mostly 25th parts to convey the retro feel of the figure. To go with his name, I made him an explosives expert and gave him appropriate accessories.

Head: ROC Ripcord
    Torso: 25th Viper:
    Arms: DG Cobra Commander
    Upper legs: 25th Hawk
    Lower legs: ROC Pit Commando

Day 4: Bronze Bombers from Olmec

''Fearlessly, the mighty U.S. 369th Infantry led the nation's greatest Black Army into battle. They fought in WWI and WWII and they never lost. There have been no warriors their equal until today! Today, we have the Bronze Bombers™! Today they defend the country against P.S.B. enemy squad. These highly skilled combatants stand for justice and they never lose!" – From 1988 card back

The Bronze Bombers was a short-lived toy line produced by Olmec. Two "waves" were produced. The first one, released in 1988, consisted of a dozen different figures and 2 small vehicles. The figures had similar molds to Galoob's A-Team figures from the early '80s and were of lesser quality. In 1997, Olmec acquired several GI Joe molds from Hasbro and produced a 12 figure boxset consisting of recolored vehicle drivers like Motor-Viper, Skidmark, Darklon and Strato-Viper. A year later, Olmec filled for bankrupcy and Bronze Bombers line disappeared.

Check out the full gallery of Day 4 here: PHX Customs Retro Toy Chest 3 Day 4 – Bronze Bombers from Olmec

Bronze Bombers Firebomb by DanoftheDead

Bronze-Bombers-Firebomb-by-DanoftheDead-03-Cobra-Island-768x768.jpg
    This was a nightmare. I spent so much time splicing the DC torso to a Joe body to retain articulation, and then the hoses and rest of the build made a lot of that pointless. I tore this guy up trying to make it all work, then struggled with the primer and orange paint job. I had such high hopes for him, but he just didn't come out as clean as I'd have like.

Parts:

DC Multiverse Mr. Freeze - Upper Armor
    Hazard Viper - Waist, Legs, Arms
    Secto-Viper - Head
    Techno-Viper - Canister Backpack
    MU Colossus - Feet
    Iron-Man - Hands
    Flame Throwers - The Force Awakens/Captain America The First Avenger, LEGO hoses

Bronze Bombers Cool Breeze by Oreobuilder

Bronze-Bombers-Cool-Breeze-by-Oreobuilder-04-Cobra-Island-486x500.jpg

The 1988 line generally included figures that were a bit more generic (that had less flair) than the 1997 ones, but there were a couple of exceptions. One of these was Cool Breeze. Labelled as an enemy of the Bronze Bombers, Cool Breeze was clad in a stark white retro-space uniform and helmet. This is what inspired me to make this custom. I used mostly 25th parts that were already white to convey the retro feel of the figure and cut down on painting.

Head: HACKS
    Torso: 25th Shipwreck
    Arms: ROC Storm Shadow
    Upper legs: 25th Storm Shadow
    Lower legs: 25th Red Star
    Helmet: ROC Accelerator Suit Duke

Shortburst by Oreobuilder

Shortburst-by-Oreobuilder-04-Cobra-Island-476x500.jpg

For this project, I looked at all the figures in the pack as candidates for customs. I made Roughshot for Custom Celebration 2017, so I figured that I would keep going. Eventually, I want to make all twelve figures from the pack. For Shortburst, I used the same parts recipe as for Roughshot since the originals were both repaints of Strato-Viper. I added some bronze accents that were not on the original figure. These accents are included in all my current and future Bronze Bombers customs as a way of tying them all together.

Parts:

Head: Star Wars Finn
    Everything else: ROC Air Viper

Love these. This kind of cross-over jazz is my bag!