Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Official GIJoeCon 2018 Discussion Thread

The Official G.I.Joe Collectors Convention Website has been updated with details on this year’s Customizing Class! It’s been revealed that figure everyone will be working on this year is none other than a Red Shadows Trooper! Here’s the scoop –

2018 GIJoeCon attendees signed up for the (Sold Out) Customizing Class: You will be adding a much requested character to your squad with our Red Shadows Trooper! Included in the kit this year is a BRAND NEW updated head sculpt by longtime collaborator Gigabread as well as a unique (secret!) original sculpt weapon for completing the figure during the class (also by Gigabread). The kit also includes an AK style assault rifle, torso and hardware, bloused BDU skirt and removable harness and satchel charge.

To complete your figure in the class, you will need to bring a set of arms and legs. As the base color of the figure is red (naturally!) we would suggest parts from any red G.I. Joe or COBRA figure.

Suggested possible donor parts include: Retaliation Alley Viper limbs, Retaliation Red Night Viper limbs, and the Target Exclusive red Viper or any others that might fit the build.

The class will supply basic paints (Testors Model Masters Acrylic), 2 different size brushes (20/0 and #1), Super Glues and accelerant’s, and X-acto knives. You will need to bring your identification if you are signed up for the Wednesday morning class as Convention badges will not be handed out until that evening. If you are attending the Thursday class, please bring you Convention badge to check in.

As per GIJoeCon policies, please arrive on time. No participants will be admitted after 8:45AM each day. The class will break from 12PM to 1PM each day for lunch, and end promptly at 4PM. If you have technical questions, you can reach out to JE Russell through Facebook at any time. You can also use the Contact link to submit any questions to the GIJCC about your attendance or special needs.

All of the class instructors and helpers (John Russell, Kalen, Matt & Nolan, Esvan) and Bobby Vala (Hasbro Designer), are all looking forward to seeing you! Be sure to give us a hearty “BLOOD for the BARON!” when you get in the door!

Quote Originally Posted by C.I.A.D. View Post

GIJoeCon 2018 Python Peril: Marauders To The Rescue Box Art Revealed
    Really diggin it. Especially with the explosion background

I do dig that box. I aaalmost pushed the button on a non-attendee set last night, but backed out. The only ones I reallyreally want are Hardball and Bludd. I wasn't too big on that 2000s Python set even though I love the original '80s and ME equivalents, but that Bludd is awesome. I was like 90% sure we were going to get him redone in FSS8 as V2 Sonic Fighter Bludd or even better, the V4 repaint from the 2000 2-pack, so I wouldn't feel bad about skipping the Con version, but alas.

I actually had all of the Slaughter's Marauders as a kid, but the appeal was like 75% because I didn't have any of the original versions at the time except Mutt. I have ME versions of Footloose, Mutt and Spirit this time. That and the fact that they don't match the more subdued BBTS versions makes me kinda ambivalent about them. OTOH, the attendee-only stuff may make me wish I'd pulled the trigger.

Larry Selman, artist extraordinaire, has been announced as a Guest at GIJoeCon 2018!

LARRY SELMAN was born in Pennsylvania and raised in a military family. Following graduation from York Academy of Art in 1982, he built a successful career in the illustration field, by collaborating with the top art directors and major publishers in New York and around the United States. Establishing a reputation of excellence, several of his illustrations have received prestigious awards and his illustration work has also appeared on the majority of the G.I. Joe Classic Collection packaging.

Larry was involved with the building of the World War II Memorial in Washington DC. He was asked by lead sculptor Ray Kaskey to provide authentic equipment and historical expertise for the sculpting of the 28 bronze plaques that would line the entrance steps to the Memorial.

Now concentrating solely on historical fine art, his original works can be found at the US Army War College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, the Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas and on numerous other military bases and museums throughout the United States. Larry is the only artist to depict every era of American military history and every branch of service. He has worked with Medal of Honor recipients: Francis Currey and Mitchell Paige, Ranger legend Leonard Lomell, and the famed Band of Brothers, from generals, and highly decorated soldiers and new recruits.

You can see more of his illustrations and projects at: LarrySelman.com

That is one amazing WWII print!

Brother, if you get a chance, do a google image search...so many amazing pieces!